Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Some quiting sugar thoughts

I am seriously thinking about trying to go sugar free, but I want to do a little more research first. Right now, I'm reading a few books. I'm also trying to find some good articles online, but sometimes their ideas clash. So I need to decide what I think is best for me.

FYI - its seems to be the best way to do the math is take the grams of sugar and divide by 4. So something with 20 grams of sugar, divided by 4, is 5 tsp. of sugar. It seems to be that 25 - 30 grams is the recommended amount per day. That's not very much, which ok since sugar really isn't good for you.

Until then, I am carefully watching my sugar intake. I can't believe how it is in EVERYTHING and just how much there is! There is 26 grams in my protein drink per serving! That is just about 6-1/2 tsp.! Wow, so much for them being my "healthy" go to quick option. They are kinda pricey, so I think I've decided to finish them off, but try drinking only half a bottle at a time instead of the full meal. And also, with being sick and the toothache, I haven't had a chance to grocery shop so they really are convenient since I stocked up on them recently.

Some websites suggest going cold turkey which is what I want to do. But then these websites differ on what that means. Some want you to cut out any thing sweet, even fruits and honey. That is supposed to help "reset" your taste buds so they can really know what is sweet naturally.

There goes breakfast. Breakfast suggestions have been like wheat toast with an egg. I'm not against that, but I just don't have time in the morning and I do NOT want to give up Curves in the morning, I learned that the last two days by going at night again. I hated that. So I need to figure breakfast out before going cold turkey. I did find some sugar free creamer for my coffee. Its not near as good as hot chocolate mix, but it will work.

I am recommitting to no white breads! Josh and I gave up white rice YEARS ago (even before this diet). We love brown rice and we know its better for us, so that isn't a big deal. I do try to buy whole wheat pasta, when I can find it. Sucks having a small town grocery store as my only option. Speaking of Josh, he is willing to do this with me which is a HUGE support. I think he will slip during the week while at the work house, but if he can just help me do it when he's home, that would be a HUGE help. I think that is why my weight goes up every weekend.

Stir fry is my new favorite meal. Yep, the sauces have quite a bit of sugar in them too. :(

I guess, for now, this will be a work in progress. Which really, my whole diet has been that way. I started out just trying to exercise more. When I got that down, I started to eat better. When I got that down,I tried to drink more water. Once I feel like something is mastered, I take on a new challenge. I think if I had tried to do it all at once, it would have overwhelmed me. You can only eat an elephant one bite at a time and you can only loose weight one pound at a time.

I'll keep this updated on how I'm doing. I want to finish these books first, and I'm going to be busy the next several weekends helping my uncle with his catering business so now doesn't feel like the best time to stop completely, but a good time to ease back.

No comments: